Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Random Writing Tips – Finding a balance

 

Lately, I’ve been having a hard time finding a writing/job/farm/life balance.  Meaning, I had plans for several writing projects this year that I’ve done almost nothing with and I’m behind on critiques for the writing group I’m a part of.  The crappy part-time job I got to pay the bills is … draining.  I live on a small farm and recently it’s been a never-ending job of picking beans, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, etc, not to mention getting enough firewood split for the winter.  On top of all of that, I also need to sleep, and it would be nice to get some reading done as well as keep up on the few shows/YouTube channels I follow.  It feels like if I could somehow get an extra ten, twelve hours a day, I might actually get something done.

Now you’re probably expecting me to reveal the secret I found to finding a balance to all of this.  No luck.  Even if I did find some way to balance my life, it probably wouldn’t apply to you.  Besides, I’ve come to the knowledge that balance is fleeting.  If you somehow managed to get to the point of things being perfectly balanced, the only constant in life is change, so that balance won’t last. 

How is this a writing tip?  It’s just a reminder that there is no perfect solution to hectic problems.  I think some writers want to stop and outline the plot forward.  That can work with fiction, but reality is too complex for a simple outline.  We need to accept that “It’s not pretty, but it works, for now,” is better than doing nothing while looking for a perfect balance.

***

Image from Pixabay.


No comments:

Post a Comment