Monday, September 16, 2019

To blog, or not to blog


Years ago I started a blog because that’s what a writer needed to do.  A blog was a place for you to connect to potential readers and let your fans know when you had new stuff coming out.  I understand all of that, it’s just … difficult for me.

For a while I kept my post count up by recapping/reviewing shows, movies, fairy tales, etc.  And I’d put up some on my ideas on writing.  But I’ve really dropped the ball.  This will be my sixth post of the year (on this blog, but I haven’t posted much on my other blogs as well), but two of those were me just reposting stories, and two more were about books sales I was having. 

Now if I were spending my time working on my various projects, I wouldn’t feel so bad.  But I do spend a lot of time binge watching shows and playing solitaire.  I am writing, just not that much.

I’ve been in a bit of a writing slump for the past year or so.  I know that if I put the effort into to connecting with potential readers – through things like interesting blog posts – and keep it up, in six months or so I’ll see improved sales.  And if had a fan base breathlessly waiting for my next work, that would add gas to my smoldering writing fire.  It’s just the first six months of hard work with little direct evidence of benefit. 

But who ever said being a writer was easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment